TORRANCE, Calif. – It was a long day on the El Camino College Sand Volleyball Courts but at the end of it all, sophomore Phina Leilua and freshman Kylee Glickman emerged victorious as the Warriors' No. 2 pairs team claimed the South Coast Conference Title Friday in the SCC Pairs Tournament.
Glickman and Leilua defeated teammates and ECC No. 1 pair Sophia Loiola and Caitlin Donatucci 21-10, 14-21, 15-7 to claim the conference crown. With the win, Glickman and Leilua also earned South Coast Conference MVP honors while Loiola and Donatucci earned SCC All-First Team accolades.
In addition, four of the six spots in the California Community College Athletics Association Beach Volleyball Southern California Regionals went to the Warriors. Along with the finalists, the duos of Moe Ikeda and Mikayla Clark claimed the fifth spot, defeating teammates Kelly Donatucci and Jessica Villasenor in the fifth-place match. Donatucci and Villasenor claimed the sixth and final spot in the regionals.
They also earned spots on the SCC All-Second Team along with the team of Jordyn Bonitz and Jocelyn Lacroix. While Lacroix and Bonitz did not advance to the CCCAA Regionals, they did provide the biggest surprise of the day, upsetting No. 1 overall seed Sierra Davis and Brooklin Mize of Long Beach. The Warriors duo had to scrap out a three-set victory in the Play-In round and were rewarded with a match against the top overall seed. But Lacroix and Bonitz were up to the task, scoring a thrilling 23-21, 16-21, 15-9 victory to record the biggest upset of the tournament.
The ECC duo would fall one win shy of qualifying for CCCCAA Regionals, falling to Long Beach's team of Doris Woods and Isabella Alvarez in two sets. Woods and Alvarez would go on to claim the No. 3 spot in the regionals with teammates Elsa Woods and Kaitlyn Peterson taking the No. 4 spot.
The CCCAA Pairs Regionals will take place Friday, May 3 at Irvine Valley College. Seedings will be determined when the other conferences complete their tournaments next week.
SOUTH COAST CONFERENCE PAIRS TOURNAMENT – APRIL 19, 2019 at EL CAMINO COLLEGE
- Jocelyn Lacroix/Jordyn Bonitz (ECC) def. Macy Barnes/Jessica Morse (MSAC) 21-8, 20-22, 15-8
- Kelly Donatucci/Jessica Villasenor (ECC) def. Jocelyn Portillo/Brianda Valdez (MSAC) 21-17, 22-20
- Elsa Woods/Kaitlyn Peterson (LBCC) def. Ariel Garcia/Valerie Rodriguez (RHC) 21-6, 21-14
- Calissa Candalot/Emma Harris (LBCC) def. Felipa Moreno/Katherina O'Brien (RHC) 22-20, 21-10
Round of 16
- Lacroix/Bonitz (ECC) def. #1 Sierra Davis/Brooklin Mize (LBCC) 23-21, 16-21, 15-9
- #9 Doris Woods/Isabella Alvarez (LBCC) def. #8 Denyse Perez/Mara Sanchez (RHC) 21-11, 21-17
- #5 Phina Leilua/Kylee Glickman (ECC) def. #12 Evelyn Alferez/Janine Coria (RHC) 21-10, 21-10
- K. Donatucci/Villasenor (ECC) def. #4 Gabrielle Cruz/Vania Maciel (RHC) 21-17, 21-13
- Peterson/E. Woods (LBCC) def. #3 Julianna Gomez/Samantha Neely (MSAC) 19-21, 22-20, 16-14
- #6 Jessica Blakeman/Kylee Irwin-Paz (LBCC) def. #11 Lindsey Lane/Alysha Tullar (MSAC) 19-21, 22-20, 16-14
- #10 Mikayla Clark/Moe Ikeda (ECC) def. #7 Malia Carr/Shaiann Palos (MSAC) 21-13, 21-17
- #2 Sophia Loiola/Caitlin Donatucci (ECC) def. Candalot/Harris (LBCC) 21-18, 22-20
Quarterfinals (Winners Qualify for CCCAA Regionals)
- D. Woods/Alvarez (LBCC) def. Lacroix/Bonitz (ECC) 21-10, 21-10
- Leilua/Glickman (ECC) def. K. Donatucci/Villasenor (ECC) 22-20, 21-14
- E. Woods/Peterson (LBCC) def. Blakeman/Irwin-Paz (LBCC) 21-12, 21-16
- Loiola/C. Donatucci (ECC) def. Clark/Ikeda (ECC) 21-10, 21-16
Fifth-Place Bracket (Winners Qualify for CCCAA Regionals)
- K. Donatucci/Villasenor (ECC) def. Bonitz/Lacroix (ECC) 24-22, 21-19
- Clark/Ikeda (ECC) def. Blakeman/Irwin-Paz (LBCC) 21-14, 21-10
- Leilua/Glickman (ECC) def. D. Woods/Alvarez (LBCC) 21-10, 21-19
- Loiola/C. Donatucci (ECC) def. Peterson/E. Woods (LBCC) 21-9, 21-17
Fifth Place Match
- Clark/Ikeda (ECC) def. K. Donatucci/Villasenor (ECC) 18-21, 21-19, 15-9
- D. Woods/Alvarez (LBCC) def. Peterson/E. Woods (LBCC) Retired
South Coast Conference Pairs Championship Match
- Leilua/Glickman (ECC) def. Loiola/C. Donatucci (ECC) 21-10, 14-21, 15-7
ECC 2019 SCC ALL-CONFERENCE SELECTIONS